South Monroe Mountain Aspen Prescribed Fire

Richfield Ranger District, Fishlake National Forest

Contact Information: Kelly Cornwall 435-691-6001 [email protected]

Planned Date: November 5-9, 2021, as weather conditions allow.

Location: Monroe Mountain – (Manning Meadows/Manning Reservoir)

Legal Description: Township 27 South, Range 2 1/2 West, Sections 1 and 12. Township 27 South, Range 2 West, Section 7.                

Lat/Long: N 38o 29.372, W 112o 4.605

Planned Actions: The purpose of this prescribed fire project is to restore aspen ecosystems on Monroe Mountain by reintroducing fire to the aspen ecosystems through prescribed burning to reduce hazardous fuel accumulations thus reducing the risk to life, property, and natural resources, while promoting aspen regeneration. 

Prescribed fire treatments will be implemented utilizing aerial and/or hand ignition techniques targeting spruce/mixed conifer and seral aspen with mosaic burn patterns and mixed burn severities as an objective.  Prescribed fire will occur when 60 percent of the area will be expected to burn leaving 40 percent of the area unburned. 

Project Description:  The South Monroe Mountain Aspen Prescribed Fire Project is located approximately nine miles northeast of the community of Marysvale, Utah This prescribed fire plan encompasses approx. 30,000 acres comprised of 9 Units ranging from 111 to 6,466 acres in size.  The treatment planned for the upcoming week consists of approximately 100-800 acres of prescribed fire on Forest Service administered lands located adjacent to Manning Reservoir in Piute County, Utah. Ignitions within Unit 14 and 11 are tentatively planned.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *