Temporary Emergency Fire Area Closure
Bureau of Land Management
Paria River District – Kanab Field Office
Under the authority of the Federal Land Management Policy and Management Act of 1976 (43 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) and pursuant to 43 CFR 9212.0-6 and 43 CFR 9212.1-4, this temporary emergency area fire closure order applies to lands administered by the Kanab Field Office. Notice is hereby given that the Paria River District (BLM) will immediately close selected public lands to public access in Kane County, UT.
Due to extreme fire conditions and fire suppression activity currently in this area, and in the interest of public safety, the following areas will be temporarily closed until the end of the current fire emergency.
(1) North of UT/AZ state line
(2) All BLM public lands east of Johnson Wash
(3) All BLM public lands west of BLM Road 700/1065 (House Rock Valley Road)
(4) The junction of Highway 89 and BLM Road 700/1065 (House Rock Valley Road) south to the UT/AZ state line.
BLM Utah lands in the Paria River District.
(1) The closure will be in effect on August 2, 2020 at 8:00 AM, for the purpose of protecting the public and shall stay in effect until rescinded. The District Fire Management Officer and District Manager will make the determination as to when the closure will be rescinded based on public safety. Maps of the closure area(s) may be obtained from the Pine Hollow Fire ICP, located at the Kanab High School, Kanab, Utah.
(2) Additional information may be found at:
Persons exempt from the closure and that are allowed in the closed area without written permission include the following:
(a) Emergency vehicles, equipment and personnel.
(b) Government employees acting in the performance of their duties.
(c) Grazing permittees in the performance of permitted acts.
(d) Utility companies and other right of way holder employees acting in the performance of their duties.
(e) Mineral material operators and employees.
(3) Private landowners shall be allowed access to their private property across BLM lands, on established roads. Deviation from the shortest, most direct travel route to their property will be considered a violation of the closure and may be subject to the penalties as described in 43 CFR 9212.4.
(4) The closure also applies to Special Recreation Permit (SRP) holders who are authorized to conduct activities on BLM land.
(5) This closure is in compliance with provisions of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (43 U.S.C. 1701) and 43 CFR 9212.0-6 and 43 CFR 9212.1-4. The penalties of this Fire Prevention Order are provided in 43 CFR 9212.4. Any person who knowingly and willfully violates the regulations at 9212.1 of this title shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment of not more than 12 months or both.
Due to the extreme danger of the Pine Hollow fire and in the interest of public safety this closure shall be implemented immediately to protect human life.
Whitney Bunting (signed August 1, 2020)
District Manager (Acting)
Bureau of Land Management
Paria River District
Additional information and relevant documents can be found on the BLM Utah Fire and Aviation website.