Contact: Jason Curry | 801-703-0225
Big Springs Fire Update 6/14/2020
Summary: The Big Springs Fire is burning in Tooele County south of I-80 along SR-196. SR-196 was temporarily closed but is now open again. The fire is transitioning to a Type 3 incident command. Air resources are dropping retardant on the fire while ground crews are working to secure containment lines. At least two private storage containers and contents plus two vehicles have been destroyed.
- Start Date: June 14, 2020 at approximately 11:30 a.m.
- Cause: Human-caused, under investigation
- Fire Size: Estimated at 2,912 acres
- Percent Contained: 20%
- Complexity: Transitioning to a Type 3 Incident Command
- Jurisdiction: State and Federal
- Fire Behavior: Wind driven, moderate fire behavior with active burning in areas with thicker vegetation.
- Fuels and Terrain: Grass, brush and juniper.
- Structures Threatened: None
- Evacuations: None
- Closures: No closures in effect. Fire officials are asking the public to avoid the Timpie Springs shooting area for public and firefighter safety.
- Fire Crews/Resources: 20 engines, 2 crews, 2 helicopters, 1 air attack, 1 dozer and multiple water tenders.
For more information on fires across the country, visit https://inciweb.nwcg.gov. x